Physical Recovery After an Abortion
After a surgical or chemical abortion there are some basic things you can do to help in your recovery. You may feel physically fine after your procedure but you will need to take safety measures to ensure that you do not experience complications.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Limit activity for a few days.
- Take the antibiotics given to you until they are gone.
- No exercise for two weeks.
- No swimming or tub baths for two weeks.
- Don’t use anything vaginally for two weeks. (This includes sex, douching, or using tampons.)
- Avoid heavy lifting, anything over 15 lbs, for two weeks.
- Be aware of the signs and symptoms of infection:
- Fever over 100 degrees that does not respond to medication and lasts for more than a couple of hours.
- Bleeding that is heavier than a normal period with large clots and bright red blood.
- Severe cramping.
- Foul smelling discharge.
- Dizziness, fainting or nausea.
- Bleeding from IV site.
- Abdominal swelling or tenderness.
If you develop any of these symptoms, see your medical provider as soon as possible. If you cannot reach your physician do not hesitate to go to the nearest emergency room for evaluation.
It is very important that you are examined around two weeks after your abortion. If you find it difficult to return to the clinic where your procedure was performed, then seek medical attention elsewhere.
Once you have recovered physically there is still emotional healing that needs to take place. The “blues” are not uncommon after an abortion. Some women report feeling relieved after their procedure, but many do not. If you continue to experience emotional difficulties as time passes, you may want to seek help to deal with post abortion stress. There are several good programs that will help you deal with the feelings, such as Restore.
It is very important to allow yourself the time and care to heal from an abortion. This can be a period of physical and emotional upheaval. Being proactive in the healing process will pay off in restoring you in both areas more quickly and completely.